Frequently Asked Questions
What is the current three-year period or cycle for meeting the Code of Ethics Training Requirement?
The current three-year period in which all members must complete Code of Ethics training, approved by their Local Association, began January 1, 2019, and will end on December 31, 2021. NAR refers to this period as Cycle 6.
What happens if this requirement is not met by a member?
In early January 2022, NAR will provide OKCMAR with the names of members who have not met their Code of Ethics Training Requirement. Membership and all related services, including MLS access, will be suspended for all people identified on that list until the requirement is met. Suspended members who do not meet the requirement by March 1, 2022, will be terminated.
What is OKCMAR’s role in the Code of Ethics training process?
• The local association (OKCMAR) is authorized by NAR to determine which Code of Ethics training programs it will accept as meeting the learning objectives established by NAR.
• The local association has responsibility for recording and transmitting all Code of Ethics training records for primary members to the National Association of REALTORS®.
• Per NAR directive, the local association must suspend any member who does not meet the Code of Ethics training requirement within the current triennial period.
How can you meet the Code of Ethics Training Requirement for Existing Members?
If you join/joined OKCMAR within the current period (January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2021), the 3 CE Code of Ethics course provided before your New Member Orientation meets the requirement for the current 3-year period ending December 31, 2021. Since you completed this course online on NAR’s website, your records are automatically updated by NAR. No additional action is required by the member.
For existing members, OKCMAR will accept only the courses listed below as meeting the NAR Code of Ethics Training Requirement for the period January 1, 2019, through December 31, 2021. Remember, only your local association has the authority to determine which classes meet the requirement.
For primary OKCMAR members, be sure to refer to the following list of accepted courses.
Which classes will OKCMAR accept as meeting the Code of Ethics Training Requirement for Existing Members?
- OKCMAR REALTOR® Code of Ethics course
- NAR Code of Ethics Training (Note: Part of GRI Curriculum course at OAR)
- Ethics courses with Charles Barnes, Marie Burroughs, and Old Republic Title of Oklahoma
• REALTORS® Code of Ethics Training (FREE!) (formerly known as the Quadrennial Code of Ethics Training)
• Ethics at Work
• Code of Ethics: Good For Your Clients and Your Business
• The Code of Ethics in Action: Real-Life Applications
How will NAR’s records be updated to indicate that you’ve met the training requirement?
The following information applies to primary members of OKCMAR.
• If you complete any of the classroom courses at OKCMAR, your training record will automatically be updated and sent to NAR. No additional action is required.
• If you complete any of the classroom courses approved by OKCMAR, but delivered by an OREC-approved school/sponsor other than OKCMAR, you must submit a copy of your certificate of completion to OKCMAR, so that we can transmit the record to NAR. Email your scanned certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• If you complete the NAR Online course, NAR knows that you’ve completed the requirement and will notify OKCMAR.
• If you complete the online program titled “Cracking the Code,” the CE Shop will notify OKCMAR, and OKCMAR will notify NAR that you’ve met the requirement.
Will this list ever change?
Periodically, OKCMAR may add new courses to the list. If that happens, the course name, along with an effective date, will be included in the list. You are encouraged to review this list periodically for new programs that OKCMAR will accept as meeting the NAR Code of Ethics Training Requirement 41